The president of the United States has decided to drop the plan of deporting international students who have been shifted to online classes due to the Corona outbreak.
This U-turn has come within a week of announcing new policies for foreign students.
On Monday, MIT (the Massachusetts Institute of Technology), Harvard University, and 15 other educational institutes came together and sued the Trump administration for this decision.
As per a report published in the New York Times, the agreement restores a policy made and implemented in March. Earlier, the agreement allowed all international students to attend their online classes and remain legally in the country on student visas.
Last week, the foreign students were told that they would have to leave the United States this autumn unless they switched to in-person coaching.
Most of the students moved to their respective countries after completing their term in March. Now, the students were told that they would not get permission to come back to the United States for further studies as classes have moved online.
With this, the international students studying and living in the United States are scared for their future. On this, the U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said people might have to face deportation if they do not comply with the regulations imposed.
On 6th July, the agency stated- those students who are not able to convert their classes into in-person have to bear “immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.” Source: BBC.
As soon as the Trump administration announced deportation, more than 17 educational entities came forward and filed a case against the authority, while other 59 universities throughout the country showed their support for the filed claim.
For more updates, stay tuned with us!