On Tuesday, the government of the U.K. has banned 5G equipment from Huawei. It is a Chinese telecom manufacturer that has been banned due to security concerns. Despite Beijing’s retaliation threats, Britain remains firm at its decision.
U.K.’s Digital Secretary, Olive Dowden, announced the decision at a meeting, chaired by the U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
While in British Parliament, Dowden said- “From the end of this year, telecoms providers must not buy any 5G equipment from Huawei,” Source: Times Now News.
Further, he added that the telecom operators would need to abide by the new guidelines and remove all the Chinese 5G equipment throughout the nation.
To this, Huawei referred to this decision as a political move and a “disappointing” decision.
Ed Brewster, Huawei U.K. Spokesman, said-
“Regrettably our future in the U.K. has become politicised, this is about U.S. trade policy and not security. This disappointing decision is bad news for anyone in the U.K. with a mobile phone,” Source: Times Now News.
Dowden said that this decision to ban Chinese company Huawei’s 5G equipment will make the nation delay its 5G plans by a year, at least. Further, he added that the total cost of this decision against the Chinese telecom would be £2 billion approximately.
Dowden said- “This has not been an easy decision, but it is the right one for the U.K. telecoms networks, for our national security and our economy, both now and indeed in the long run,” Source: Times Now News.
Earlier this month, FCC (the United States Federal Communications Commission) referred two Chinese telecom companies as “national security threats.”
FFC’s statement said- “As a result of today’s action, money from FCC’s $8.3 billion-a-year Universal Fund may no longer be used to purchase, obtain, maintain, improve, modify or otherwise support any equipment or services produced by these suppliers,” Source: Times Now News.
For more updates, stay tuned with us!
Source: Times of India