The U.S. diplomats have decided to leave the U.S. consulate in Chengdu (a southwestern city in China) after following the decision to close the mission. Beijing has taken the decision.
On Monday, early morning, the staff members were seen carrying bags or rubbish and files. To witness this, the locals came outside, taking selfies and waving the Chinese flags on the streets.
Reports say that the Chinese government has reacted to the U.S. closing its consulate in Houston, Texas. This incident took place last week.
On Friday, the deadline of 72 hours for the Chinese diplomats ended in order to leave the Houston mission. Further, the local reporters claim to see U.S. based men opening doors to enter the premises.
On this matter, Mike Pompeo, the U.S. Secretary of State, said that as Beijing was “stealing” the intellectual property, Washington had to make a decision on this.
Responding to this, Wang Wenbin, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman, said that this move by the United States is based on “a hodgepodge of anti-Chinese lies”. Source: BBC.
Now, this has added to the already existing reasons for tension behind both the nations.
The state media of Chengdu has been releasing several pictures of lorries and U.S. diplomats leaving the building. To control the circumstances, dozens of Chinese policemen were deployed on the streets outside the U.S diplomats building.
A report by AFP News says that boos were heard clearly when a bus left the building on Sunday.
When Chinese diplomats left Houston’s mission for the last time, the protesters around there mocked them. More than 200 employees were hired locally to accomplish the diplomatic mission.
For more updates, stay tuned with us!